Treatment of Varicose Veins
Endo Venous Laser Ablation (EVLA) is a minimally invasive treatment for varicose veins now available at Southtowns Radiology, a leading vein treatment center in Buffalo. It offers a safe, fast and comfortable procedure for eliminating unsightly leg veins at the source, without the need for varicose vein surgery.
As blood flows through your veins to the heart, stop valves are supposed to prevent the blood from flowing backwards as gravity pulls it down. If the valves don’t close properly, blood pools in the vein, forcing the walls to enlarge and bulge out. This is what causes the discomfort and unsightly veins on your legs.
It used to be that painful surgery was the best treatment option, Now, EVLA uses targeted laser energy to seal the vein shut to help you look and feel better, fast. You can also learn more about treatment options for varicose veins by visiting Buffalo Vein Treatment Center.
The benefits of EVLA
- Varicose vein and spider vein treatment can be performed in less than one hour
- Procedure is performed in the comfort of the Southtowns office.
- Immediate relief of symptoms of bulging, twisted veins.
- You can return to normal activity immediately with little or no pain.
- No hospitalization and only local anesthesia is required.
- Procedure leaves no scars.
- 97% of first-time EVLA procedures are successful.
How EVLA works
- Your doctor uses ultrasound to map out your vein.
- Local anesthetic is applied.
- A thin laser fiber is inserted through a tiny entry point, usually near the knee.
- Laser energy is delivered to seal the faulty vein so that blood cannot flow through it. This eliminates vein bulging at the source.
- After treatment blood is diverted from the faulty vein to the many normal veins in the leg.
- Walking immediately after the procedure is encouraged. Normal activity can be resumed, however, you should avoid rigorous activities such as gym workouts.
- There may be minor soreness and bruising. Any discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter, non-aspirin pain relievers as needed.
Preparing for the EVLA procedure
The caring, friendly staff at Southtowns Radiology will welcome you to our convenient Hamburg facility and answer any questions for you.
- The vein treatment procedure typically takes less than an hour.
- You will be given a pair of special glasses just as a precaution due to the use of a laser.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment.
- Leave valuables at home.
- You will be able to resume normal activity immediately after the procedure.
Available at the following locations:
- Hamburg 3040 Amsdell Road, Hamburg, NY 14075 • Phone: 716-649-9000 Directions